Monday, December 7, 2009

Ethics That I See

For my final blog, I have chosen to write about an ethical issue that I have seen on the news today. I know the news can exaggerate stories; however I still think that this issue has many ethical violations both in healthcare and beyond. With all the economic problems I keep hearing about and all shortages in the budgets around the country I have to ask myself one question. What CEO or manager of any company feels that they can justify giving themselves a raise?! For example, the unemployment rate continues to increase yet some managers and company executives still get raises. I find this extremely disturbing for multiple reasons. First, where is the compassion for your fellow citizen? Do company executives realize that when they fire people they are firing human beings with families? Second, and kind of selfishly, I have to state that many of my co-workers and myself and not seen a raise in well over three years, even though managers and higher-ups get raises. So I guess what I am trying to say through all this rambling is why? I am at a loss. If one CEO would even try to be a tiny bit utilitarianistic and think about the country as a whole I feel that there would be no problem. If he or she gets a $500,000 raise for example and turned it down the company could hire ten more employees and pay them $50,000 each with that money! I know that seems like nothing but if every company and hospital executive did this I feel that it would put a great dent in our economic problem. These people with their new jobs would go out and spend their money and the growth as I see it would be endless. Maybe my idea is a bit utopian in design and more than likely will not happen because let’s be honest, how many people do you know that have turned down a raise? All I can do from my limited position is write about it and hope someone with a greater power then I realizes that something is ethically and morally not right about all of this. I love this country and I know this is how capitalism works, however there is something not right when one man starves while another gets an exorbitant amount of money for putting that starving man in that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment